Travelling is a great way to unwind, recharge and discover a new you. It’s a great way to discover and experience new things in life. By travelling, you get an opportunity to see and experience different kinds of cultures and traditions and meet different people.The best way to truly experience the culture and lifestyle of the city you are travelling to is by living like the locals. How can you do that?
Here are 5 rules which we always follow on all of our trips
1. Use the public transport
If you hire a tourist taxi or a cab, it’ll pick you up from where you are and drop you off exactly where you want to go. What fun is that? By using public transport, you’ll have to find your way to the bus stop or the station. You’ll need to figure out what bus or train goes where. And you’ll need to what stations fall on the route you’re taking. This way, you’ll get to know the city so much better. Sure, hiring a cab is fun and comfortable. But using the public transport is great, too.
2. Eat local foods
Food is the true representative of the cities culture. A city can be understood in its truest sense only by eating the local food. India is a varied country with each region having a different cuisine. If you’re travelling to a new city and not trying the local food, you’re actually missing out on a major part of travelling.
3. Shop locally
One travel ritual we’ve always followed when travelling to a new city or country is to shop locally there. It’s like a tiny memory you bring back from that place. Shopping locally also helps you learn about the culture of the city.
4. Interact with the locals
Travelling to a new city is pointless if you do not strike up a conversation with the locals. Talk to them. Learn their language, or at least the basics of it. Ask them what a day in their regular life is like. Tell them about your life and your city and ask them how their life is different.
5. Ditch the map for a while
In a new city, it is good to have a map with you to guide you. But once in a while, it is a good idea to ditch the map and just wander around aimlessly. It is a great way to truly explore the city. You might come across many articles and tips and tricks similar to this. It’s good to follow our advice. But ultimately, the best way to make travel fun and easy is to just go with the flow. Do whatever feels right at that moment.
We’re sharing some of the resources we use while travelling. Thought this might help you, too.
- We almost always refer to reviews on Trip Advisor. It gives us an idea of what to expect. If we get a hint from the reviews that we are not going to like a certain place, we skip it. It saves a lot of time.
- For deciding where to eat, there is no better app than Zomato.
- Glovve is one site we stumbled upon when we were looking for one article which would tell us everything we need to know about a city. They have city resources pages for most major cities in India. The pages sum up everything there is to know about the city.
- The Culture Trip is one blog we really love. We read about other travel bloggers here and use some of their tips and tricks.
- While we do prefer using the public transport whenever possible, Ola Cabs and Uber Cabs app is always useful.
- Google Maps never fails to come to help us find our way in the new city.